At Castle Microwave, we have a history of working with wafer processing equipment. That’s why we’re proud to partner with Kumasan.
Kumasan specialise in fully automatic wafer breaking and wafer scribing machines. Their wafer breaking machines use a guillotine method to break semiconductor wafers into 2 pieces, after the scribe line has been inscribed using Kumasan’s wafer scribing machine.
What is wafer scribing?
Wafer scribing machines (sometimes referred to as wafer dicing machines) are specialised pieces of machinery that inscribe semiconductor wafers with scribe lines, so that they can be split into individual chips or dies, which is an essential part of the semiconductor manufacturing process.
To ensure that each chip is cleanly and accurately separated without causing damage, these machines require pinpoint precision and accuracy.
Wafer Scribing Machine (TEC-2005RM)
Kumasan’s wafer scribing machines use a diamond scribing tool (the cumulation of years of research and engineering) to ensure that all wafers have a smooth, mirror-like cut face.
Their machine, TEC-2005RM is a semi-automatic wafer scribing machine, designed for 4-inch wafers. It’s features include:
- Highly rigid design – Machine shaking has been eliminated to allow for a clean scribe line, and high speed processing.
- Auto-Alignment – Original image recognition that enables batch recognition of bar arrays. Partial wafer mode with single chip recognition also included.
- Air Controlled Tool Pressure Application – Allows for a stable application of pressure to ensure a consistent scribe depth, and drastically reduces tool jumping.
- Tool Setter – A time saving tool that allows for the cutting point to be set easily, to ensure a faster and precise operation.
- Dimensions (W x D x H) - 750mm x 930mm x 1560mm
- Weight (KG) - 700kg
What is wafer breaking?
Wafer breaking is the process in which the wafers themselves are split into pieces, after the wafers have been scribed. To break the wafer, the machine applies pressure to the scribe line in order to enlarge the crack, until it breaks into two pieces.
Wafer Breaking Machine (TEC-1228AL)
Kumasan’s wafer breaking machine (TEC-1228AL) employs the guillotine method, which applies pressure onto the opposite side of the scribe line in order to propagate the crack, and is especially efficient on hard materials, such as compound semiconductors. Kumasan’s TEC-1228AL supports 2-inch, 4-inch and 6-inch wafers, and features:
- Efficiency – Double-armed transport makes wafer loading time significantly quicker.
- Break Detection – Senses die singulation to eliminate breaking errors.
- Interchangeable Ring Frame – Parts are able to be easily switched out in order to handle different sized ring frames.
- Tape Mounting Unit – Fully automated tape mounting and removal.
- Blade Condition Recognition – An automated function that checks the condition of the blade before the breaking process, minimizing breaking errors.
- Shape Recognition – Recognises irregular wafer shapes or location, allowing for a fully automatic process.
- SECS Communication Support – Adds SECS/GEM communications and compatibility with other semiconductor processing equipment.
- Dimensions (W x D x H) - 1516mm x 862mm x 1506mm
- Weight - 650kg
Why work with Castle Microwave?
We are the UK’s leading supplier of Wafer Breaking and Wafer Scribing equipment – and there are a number of reasons to work with us:
- Rapid response times – we are proud of the speed it takes from initial enquiry to prototype, all the way through to manufacture.
- Quality assurance – all of our products are held to the highest quality standards and checked at every stage of production.
- State of the art manufacture – we work with a range of principals who are top of their field. Coupled with our manufacturers, who are top of their respective fields, we can guarantee state of art manufacture of the highest quality.
Want to know more about how Kumasan can improve your product? Get in touch with a member of our friendly sales team today.